Micronutrients are vital to the proper functioning of all of your body's systems. Sodium, for instance, is responsible for maintaining the proper fluid balance in your body; it helps fluids pass through cell walls and helps regulate
appropriate pH levels in your blood. Here are some of the ways that other micronutrients help maintain your body's systems:
- Manganese promotes bone formation and energy production, and helps your body metabolize the macronutrients, protein, carbohydrate and fat.
- Magnesium helps your heart maintain its normal rhythm. It helps your body convert glucose (blood sugar) into energy, and it is necessary for the metabolization of the micronutrients calcium and vitamin C.
- Iron helps your body produce red blood cells and lymphocytes.
- Iodine helps your thyroid gland develop and function. It helps your body to metabolize fats, and promotes energy production and growth.
- Chloride helps regulate water and electrolytes within your cells, as well as helping to maintain appropriate cellular pH.